Tuesday 19 March 2013

Meet Oscar!



Meet Oscar!
Oscar has a huge personality and is a very intelligent, active little boy with a radiant smile that captures every gaze. He likes helping fold laundry, playing with toy cars and airplanes and making artwork to give to Aunties! He speaks English very well and loves to teach others Luganda, the local language. Extremely bright and inquisitive, he is doing really well at Little Rina, the local school that he attends and comes home wanting to share about everything that he’s learned each day!His sweet smile and joy brings much life to our Rafiki family!
 
















 History
Oscar was abandoned by his parents and left in the care of his grandmother who wasn't able to care for him. He was living in poverty and in desperate need of a loving family and home. A local orphanage that was already over maximum capacity let us know that Oscar was in need of a family; he came to us hungry and in desperate need of help. He was one of over 3 million destitute, orphaned children living in the streets and slums of Uganda. But Oscar is NO longer one of these children because he is now part of our Rafiki Family where he receives all the love and care he needs! 

 Funky Facts!
Favorite Color: yellow 
 Animal: Zebra
Food: Meat and Rice
Game: Tag 
 Activity: Drawing & Reading
 

Volunteer Corner 
Just a few days ago, sweet Oscar ran up to me and kissed me on my hand. He threw back his head and gave me one of the hugest smiles I have ever been blessed to see on a child’s face. He lit up and was completely happy in that moment. Before I had the chance to say anything to him, he ran away laughing; completely filled with joy. He is precious. Nothing was said about what had happened that day. The next day he ran up to me when I came down to help the kids get ready for church. His arms were stretched out and he was ready for me to pick him up and cuddle for just a little while before he had to get out of his pajamas for the day. When I picked him up he wrapped his arms around me and snuggled in as if he had no other plans for the day. Then he whispered in my ear, “Do you remember yesterday?” of course I did, but he decided to remind me again anywys. He grabbed my hand and kissed it before squirming out of my arms with a big smile on his face to go get dressed for the day. This is a daily routine for Oscar and me. I look forward to it every morning when I wake up. I know he does, too. It’s amazing for me to see how he can love so deeply. I’m honored that he has chosen to love me. Oscar is such a sweet boy. 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
  For the next few weeks we will be posting stories of all the kids here at Rafiki Africa Ministries (RAM). We want to give these kids a voice. There are more struggling kids here in Uganda than anyone is able to count. Here are the stories of 13 kids who's lives were changed by God through the work of RAM. We want to make you a part of this work, there is so much love and joy overflowing out of the Rafiki Home and we want you to experience this through these stories. We hope you can get to know the kids through these updates and we pray that you will fall in love with them just as we have. 
Be a part of the changes God continues to make in the lives of these kids. 
Make a difference. 
Spread the word.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment